The Proposal Process is the way we collaborate to improve OVAL, including:
- Fixing a defect in the OVAL schemas or documentation
- Adding new features, tests, or platforms
- Updating these Guidelines (e.g. the Developer Guides, Content Repository Listings, etc.)
- Updating this Proposal Process itself!
In fact, the only things that are NOT updated via the Proposal Process are:
- The OVAL Leadership Board, Area Supervisors and OVAL Sponsor (follow links to learn more)
- The OVAL Mission, Use Cases and OVAL Design Principles (these are maintained by the OVAL Leadership Board)
Here is a quick rundown of the process. Please click through the links to read more about each phase.
- Create an Issue: anyone may create an Issue describing a problem or suggesting an enhancement
- Initial Proposal: anyone may submit a Proposal for resolving the Issue so the community can review and provide feedback
- Alternate Proposals: community members may submit Alternate Proposals for resolving the Issue
- Objections: community members may also Object to a Proposal if they think it conflicts with an OVAL Design Principle
- Consensus Building: the relevant Area Supervisor decides when there is Rough Consensus for adopting a Proposal
- Release Process: the adopted Proposal is released into Development and considered for release into Stable and Official